Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Back To The West Branch






















I had a little free time this afternoon so I took the opportunity to visit the West Branch and check up on those stockies. I tried all my favorite spots, but wasn't having any success. Saw lots of bug life, midges everywhere and even a few early sulphurs. Unfortunately, the trout seemed uninterested in eating anything- real or not. And no rises anywhere, which was surprising. I thought about packing it in. Then the sun started going down and it was a totally different situation...

The spot I was fishing started producing trout after trout. The first one was a nice brown- a good 14 inches and feisty for his size. I hooked a few more of these new residents and then I set the hook on what I immediately knew was a nice fish. This guy ran up and down four times and gave my new reel the test I've been waiting for. I finally got him to net and breathed a sigh of relief. He was a beautiful orange yellow, with a pronounced kype. I managed to get a couple photos in the low light and sent him back to the stream that has been his home for a while now. And to think I almost left.



8 comments:

  1. Hell yes. That is a beauty. Great job man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man- I'm pretty psyched to have finally caught one of these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job chris, great looking healthy brown! Really happy for you buddy. Catching a brown that size from a stream is not an easy task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I had 6x mono on (ran out of fluoro) so I was really worried I'd lose it... very glad to get this fish in the net

      Delete
  4. Right on! There is nothing better than kype, man.... You gave us all hope & cause for that one last cast- congrats, you deserve him! -Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom- yup, you never know when that big one is going to hit- that's what makes it so hard to walk away!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Chris. You are a fine fisherman. That's such a great big slab of a Brown! What a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks man! I just happened to be in the right place at the right time- sure made my day.

    ReplyDelete