Saturday, April 27, 2013

Trout From The Sky

I was having a very uneventful morning (aka on my way to getting skunked) at the West Branch the other day when things turned around in a way I never would have expected. A truck suddenly pulled over on the bridge right above where I was fishing and the driver got out. "This West Branch?". Yup. That confirmed, he climbed up on the back of the truck and started casually dumping huge nets full of trout over the side of the bridge. Then he got back in and drove away without a word. For some reason I'd always thought the stocking process was very scientific and methodical. Introducing these delicate little trout to the wild with an encouraging little push and all that. In reality, it's actually much closer to sanitation work- in reverse. Still, regardless of his technique, this guy has the most important job in the world in my opinion. And I'm glad he stopped by.

I went over and checked things out. The bridge had a very new, large population of small trout congregating under it in the shade. I'm only a tiny bit ashamed to admit I tried to catch some of them right then and there. Who wouldn't, right? I hooked a couple and left soon after. The phrase "shooting fish in a barrel" kept coming to mind. But hey, wasn't like I was bringing them home with me. And it sure beats getting skunked.



8 comments:

  1. Nice picture and report chris. It is amazing how tough those little trout are getting dumped like that. In some places they are air dropped from huge heights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, yeah it is amazing how resilient they are. I guess they stock Kensico like this too, except from a much bigger drop and with a huge pipe.... Crazy

      Delete
  2. This is instantly one of my all time favorite blog posts on the entire world wide web! Now do you believe those online stocking charts? Chris- too funny- this was a great read! Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Tom! I am a believer now, that's for sure. I always wondered where baby trout come from. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice I would have done the exact same thing. I bet those few fish you hooked might survive longer knowing there first meal in there new environment had a sting to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Manny- glad I could help those trout learn the ropes. Hopefully they'll have long healthy lives in the WB!

      Delete
  4. Dude this is classic. If I were there I'd have beat you to them and been chucking stoneflies in the air to see if I could catch a trout before he hit the stream!!! ;)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike! That's just crazy enough to work :)

    ReplyDelete